So many devices in the modern workplace rely on electricity. We’re guessing that if you took a quick look around you’d notice a variety of printers, power strips, extension cords and surge protectors in your space. These items have become an integral part of our workday. However, we often don’t give too much thought to the electrical safety hazards these items can bring with them if not maintained and used properly.
Here are some important tips to keep everyone safe from electrical hazards like shocks, electrocution, burns and fire in your workplace.
- Make sure outlets are not overloaded.
- Check all of the power strips in your office to make sure they’re not overloaded and that they are in a well-ventilated area to ensure adequate heat dispersion.
- Do not use any equipment with wet hands.
- Do not bind, tie or knot electrical cords. Don’t hide them under carpets or mats where chairs can roll over them and compromise their safety.
- Do not use electrical equipment anywhere near hot surfaces or wet areas.
- In an emergency situation cut off power immediately. Know where the master breaker is located.
- Unplug devices when not in use to save energy and eliminate the risk of shocks and fire.
- To eliminate shock and tripping hazards, keep high-traffic areas and pedestrian aisles free from electrical cords.
- Immediately report any device or piece of equipment makes unusual sounds, gives off a strange odor, emits smoke, sparks, or feels abnormally hot.
- Disconnect devices being repaired or serviced.
Most workplace electrical safety hazards are easy to avoid with a little caution and some preventative maintenance. Make sure these checks are done on a regular basis. As well, encourage your employees to report any defects or damage that they come across.
When you purchase or lease a new printer or copier from us, our team will ensure that your device is installed properly and educate you on how to safely use your device.